Sunday, November 23, 2008

49th Thessaloniki Film Festival

Big names, lots of films, concerts, lots of famous faces in the city, busy cafes etc. I liked it, wish it wasn't over. Speaking of big names: Willem Dafoe, Oliver Stone, Terence Davies were available for consultations during masterclasses if someone was interested :P.
I saw four films:


Lake Taho, by Fernando Eimbcke, Mexico 2008
My favourite film, longish though. A story of a teenager whose father died and who cannot face the death and live the sorrow properly. Instead he gets involved in solving irrelevant problems - i.e. fixing the car, walking someone's dog, chasing a not very reliable mechanic, struggling to say 'no' when other people impose their will on him. He is also struggling to start acting like a man, that he now must be.

Stella, by Sylvie Verheyde, France 2008.
A very moving story of a young girl coming from a bit weird background, trying to find herself among other teenagers, have 'smart' hobbies and find motivation to go to school.

O teleutaios gyrismos, by Corinna Avramidou, Cyprus 2008.
A love story with the events of 1974 in Cyprus in the background, amazing atmosphere of the island in the '70. BTW I was surprised to meet some people from the crew I knew from Cyprus at the screening :).

Rysa, by Michał Rosa, Polska 2008.
Very, very good acting. However, the story of a woman that finds his husband repulsive after she suspects he worked for the communist secret police and married her to spy of her father turned into a clinical case. Too much.
The screenings were in various cinemas in the city, but the centre of all events was at the port.
Speaking of famous faces - we were having lunch with Savvas and at the next table there was this bunch of loud people, speaking Serbian (?) with a very famous Greek actor (his back is visible on the picture). Then I wanted to go to the concert of Emir Kusturica (yes, this one, he has his own band) and realised that it was Kusturica that was the laudest of the group (the guy with long hair).
Plus I got my favourite Savvopoulos in rehearsal when I went for coffee:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pooglądałabym sobie...

Anonymous said...

Niech Ci malzonek sciagnie z netu Stelle - bedzie Ci sie podobac i Lake Taho tez.